Dance Beyond Fiesta! Join the Corazon Latino Dance Troupe!
Corazon Latino is a group of approximately 35 girls and boys, adopted from various countries in Central and South America, who come together to learn dances from those countries and have fun. Dancers from second grade through age twenty are welcome to join the group, and no prior dance experience is necessary. Practices begin in early January of each year and continue each week (this year they’re on Sundays) through the end of April, and the highlight of the season is when all dancers get to perform at the Festival of Nations gathering in downtown St. Paul in May. Corazon Latino is a unique and exciting way for kids to learn more about their heritage through dance. Join us!
Youth and Junior Dance Groups
- Dancers are divided into two groups:
Youth: 2nd grade – 6th grade
Teen: 7th grade – 20 years old
- Each group will dance one dance at the Festival of Nations event in May.
Information about the country we’ll choose/dances/costumes
- Teens and Youth groups are both doing dances from Puerto Rico in 2017.
- Practices are held Sunday afternoons at Diamond Lake Church, 5760 Portland Ave. S., Minneapolis
- Dancers practice at the following times:
Youth: 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm
Teens: 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm (the Teen practices may be extended to 3:30 pm as we get closer to FON)
Teens are invited to arrive each week at 1:30 pm for a social time; teens will rehearse from 2:00 to 3:00 pm.
- Following are the dates we plan to have practice (note: these are subject to change)
|Sun., Jan. 15*||Sun., Feb. 5||Sun., Mar. 5||Sun., Apr. 9||Sat. May 6***|
|Sun., Jan. 22||Sun., Feb. 12||Sun., Mar. 12||Sun., Apr. 23|
|Sun., Jan. 29||Sun. Feb. 26||Sat., Mar. 18**||Sun., Apr. 30|
|Sun., Mar. 19|
|Sun., Mar. 26|
**Dancers will perform a “review” of the dances at The International Institute, a sponsor of Festival of Nations (address to come). At this point, we are scheduled for Saturday, March 18. We need to have the bulk of our dancers in attendance for the troupe to be able to perform at the Festival of Nations in May.
***We are scheduled to dance at FON on Saturday, May 6; youth will dance at 1:00 pm, and teens will dance shortly after that.
Festival of Nations (FON)
- Held May 4 – 7, 2017 at the River Centre in downtown St. Paul
- We are tentatively scheduled to dance at FON on Saturday, May 6 between 12 pm and 1 pm for youth and a bit after 1 pm for teens; this day and the times are subject to change.
- Teens also have the opportunity to also do a dance on Friday if they decide (as a group) they want to.Download the 2017 registration form here!
Role Anna Palchizaca Dance Instructor email@example.com Kathy Cranbrook Festival of Nations coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org Kat Moses Costumes coordinator email@example.com Jennie Wollschlager Treasurer firstname.lastname@example.org Tracy McGarry Secretary email@example.com Carrie Gorder Corazon Latino representative on PLAC Board firstname.lastname@example.org