Help make La Semana a great experience – volunteer!
We have MANY openings that are critical to La Semana camp planning. Review the list below and find a role that you would be willing to take on! The B positions offer a camp discount as well as early registration.
- Inclusion & Code of Conduct Coordinator
- Crafts Coordinator
- Fiesta Friday Night Manager
- La Semana Market Coordinator
- Crafts Bin Leader for 7th Grade
- Kitchen Certificate Holder (will take more than one for this role so that the week can be broken up).
Other open positions include:
- Co-chair for Ayudantes
- Communications Co-Chair
- Operations Co-Chair
- Daycare-7 Classroom Co-Chair
- Specialty Assistant
- Daycare-7 Program Co-Chair
- Inventory Manager
- Emergency Plan Coordinator
- PLAC Corazon Latino Representative
- Fiesta Operations Co-Chair
- Fiesta DVD Coordinator
- Fiesta Back Stage Manager
- Assistant Treasurer
- Emergency Plan Coordinator
- La Semana Secretary
To apply for one of these positions, please fill out a volunteer application (below) and mail it to email@example.com.
2018 Camp Dates set
La Semana 2018 will take place July 23-27, 2018. Put those dates in your calendar and watch your email for more information.
Order your Fiesta DVDs!
Want to order a DVD of the Fiesta performances? Download an order form and send it in, with a check, to the address on the form. Thanks!
La Semana is changing – we need your help!
La Semana is changing and we need your help. Read more about the future of La Semana Camp here.
New Fiesta location and ticket system
We have a new location for Fiesta this year and, due to safety concerns, are implementing a ticket system. Please see the Fiesta page for more details.
2017 Camp Volunteers
Camp is less than two months away! We hope you and your family are as excited as we are.
By now you should have all received a communication from your volunteer leader confirming your role in making La Semana a success. If you have not yet received an email, please contact Michelle Carroll at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get your role confirmed.
We wanted to take a moment to review a couple of items:
- The La Semana Code of Conduct applies to all camp attendees- please make sure you are familiar with it.
- The building will be open each day at 8:25 am. If you or any of your volunteers need to have access to the building prior to 8:25 am please contact Michelle Carroll. If you are in the building, be sure to keep your children with you until 8:50 am to ensure their safety until they can enter their classroom.
- On the first day of camp you will pick up your name tag. Wear this name tag and shirt at all times during camp. Please also return your name tag on the last day of camp. All adults in the building should have a name tag or name sticker (visitors). If you have questions or concerns about an adult in the building during camp, don’t hesitate to ask the team at the sign-in desk.
- Please make sure you’re using Door G for entering and leaving camp. For the safety of our campers and the ability to monitor visitors, avoid propping open doors at any time.
- Many of you will be assigned to a classroom. If you have any questions about the evacuation plan for your room, check in with your lead volunteer.
Please keep in mind that the camp building is open during the day for all campers, volunteers and visitors. Murphy Hall (the Lunch Room) is a great place to connect with other adults who have campers in a respectful, non-distracting environment.
WiFi will not be available.
If you have any questions about any of the items listed above, don’t hesitate to reach out to any of the camp leaders or your volunteer leader.
THANK YOU for your time and talents!
Important notice to 2016 camp volunteers:
All volunteers need to read the following documents and hand in a signed form of the La Semana Volunteer Conditions on the first day of camp. Volunteers can hand in the form to the Volunteer Coordinator on the first day when they sign in at the Cafeteria, or they can hand the form to their Chair.
La Semana youth passes away
We’ve lost one of our La Semana community members, Fischer Anderson. The obituary has details about the visitation and funeral service here. UPDATE: Here is the text of the eulogy delivered by Fischer’s brother Duncan.
UPDATE (August 2016): Fischer Anderson’s family has placed a bench at the Minnesota State Fair, which Fischer loved, in his memory. Attached are photos of the memorial bench as well as Fischer at the fair. Fischer’s family has also set up a website to remember him and help raise money for a scholarshp in his name.
Help Us Keep the Volunteer Job Descriptions Up-to-Date and Accurate!
- One of the goals for the La Semana planning committee is to collect information about each camp job and then create job descriptions for each job. The job descriptions will help volunteers chose jobs of interest and will serve as a road map for volunteers to as they carry out their tasks. From the Virtual Office main page you can click on the Job Descriptions link and be taken to a file folder (kept on Google Docs) containing each of the La Semana volunteer opportunities, sorted by committee. Each job description is editable by anyone. If you have done a camp job before, please find its job description and share your knowledge by adding your comments.
Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse
- Minnesota Law requires certain people, because of their jobs or volunteer responsibilities, to report suspected child abuse. The Minnesota Department of Human Services online brochure Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect provides information on this law.
- If you are wondering if your volunteer role at La Semana places you in the category of Mandatory Reporter, err on the side of caution and child welfare and make any reports that Mandatory Reporters are required to make and let the investigating agency determine if you are a mandatory or voluntary reporter. Mandatory and voluntary reporters share the same immunity from civil liability for reports made in good faith. All La Semana volunteers and paid staff are asked to read Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect prior to camp.
- If volunteers have any questions about reporting child abuse they are encouraged to ask Brandy Koster, Camp Chair or Kelly Anderson, Volunteer Chair. In addition to your official report, any child abuse that is observed occurring at La Semana camp must be immediately reported to Brandy Koster, Camp Chair, so action can be taken to protect the child and prevent further abuse. As a courtesy, please advise the Camp Chair if you make a child abuse report for abuse occurring outside of camp but based on information revealed to you or observed at La Semana.
- Link: https://edocs.dhs.state.mn.us/lfserver/Public/DHS-2917-ENG